Dartmoor: South - Part Two
|Western White Barrow and Petre's Cross|
|Trig point at Three Barrows|
We headed down, crossing the disused tramway, and on to a small hill with a cairn. From this direction, Sharp Tor (Ugborough) is unimpressive but when you step up onto the granite, and look down to the river valley, you realise it has got something going for it.
|Sharp Tor (Ugborough)|
|Piles Copse from Sharp Tor (Ugborough)|
|Hobajon's Cross on Piles Hill|
|Curious cows near Harford|
|Black Tor (Butterdon)|
|Burial Chamber at Cuckoo Ball|
I started to tire, experiencing some stomach and back cramps, remedied with a brief rest just after joining the Two Moors Way near Spurrell's Cross. It was a little soul destroying having to revisit Piles Hill, but we eventually turned east for Wacka Tor, on Hickley Plain, just before the climb up to Three Barrows.
Camp at Wacka Tor
It is important to give the following details, where possible:
- Type and colour of animal: ear tag numbers, ear notches and colour of paint marks on sheep; brand marks on ponies; ear tag numbers and ear notches on cattle.
- What appears to be wrong: pain, collapsed, bleeding?
- Location: clear directions are vital. Please give grid reference, if possible, and state whether the animal is visible from the road and whether it is mobile.
- Can you stay to guide assistance? This is very helpful.
- Your name, tel no & address. This could be vital for additional directions etc.
|Sunset below Ugborough Moor|